Table of Contents
Complete Guide on How Long Does it Take to Grill a Hamburger?
Grilled hamburgers can be a perfect treat for small backyard barbecues and neighborhood or colleagues parties alike. But here the question is how long does it take you to grill a perfect hamburger.
It is very important to know how long to grill hamburgers for any griller. But this time may vary because it is based on the thickness of your burger patty, the kind of flesh you are using to make them, and how exactly you want your burger to be cooked.
You have to follow these tips to make sure that your patties will come out the way you like them.
How long does it take you to Grill Hamburger?
The best answer to this question is 8 to 10 minutes with every flip of about 5 minutes for your whole cooking time. But keep in mind that there is no exact answer. However, the real accurate answer is as long as your burger takes to get to the internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
Meanwhile, you may find a lot of variables. These variables are due to the size and thickness of your burger, the very start temperature of the meat and your grill, and most importantly how frequently you may open the grill and flip your burger.
Here we may discuss all of these factors in detail. You may get an idea from it.
1- Thickness of Burger
For grilling the perfect burgers, you have to make patties that have almost 3/ 4 of an inch thickness. To keep the center away from bulging, generate an indention in the middle of your patty. It will make sure that your burgers will stay flat.
2- Type of Meat
You certainly know that burgers are generally made with beef. But if you are looking for a lean alternative then chicken, turkey, and salmon burgers can be great options for you.
3- The doneness of the Burger (Well-Done or Medium Rare)
Whenever you are working with beef, you may have a lot of options as compared to other meats. But deciding on how long to grill your meat (beef) hamburgers may depend on your personal preference.
- Well done: cook the patty from one side for about 3 minutes. Flip it over and cook for another 7 minutes.
- Medium well: cook your patty from one side for about 3 minutes. Then turn it over and cook for another 6 minutes.
- Medium: cook the patty from one side for almost 3 minutes, turn it over and cook the other side for 5 minutes.
- Medium-rare: cook patty from one side for about 3 minutes, then flip it and cook for more than 4 minutes.
Additional Tip: all of the above-mentioned cooking times are based on using high and direct heat. On the other hand, chicken and turkey burgers must always be cooked to well-done, no pinkish from the inside.
Patties of salmon burgers must be opaque from the center when it is done. However, the recommended temperature will be at least 145 degrees F for fish and beef. And for turkey and chicken, you may have to raise it about 165 degrees F. It is better to use a meat thermometer to check whether your burgers are properly cooked or not.
4- Type of Grill
The type of grill you select to cook your burger highly affects your taste and lifestyle. Some people love the taste of a hamburger cooked on a charcoal grill. While some prefer the simple startup and taste that a gas grill can easily provide. No matter whichever you choose, it’s totally your choice and depends upon you.
How to Grill the Best Hamburgers
Here is the recipe for you to cook the best-grilled hamburgers.
- 32 ounces ground and cold beef
- 1 and a half tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- Butter for the buns
- 1 and 3/ 4 tbsp ground pepper.
- First of all, you have to make the burger mix. For this take a mixing bowl and add the cold beef into it. Sprinkle all the seasonings evenly over the meat and fold it a few times so that everything gets mixed well.
- Now shale the burger patties. It is better and easy to make the patties on a tray instead of forming them in your hands. Make them generously, cover them with plastic wrap, and put them into the fridge for a while.
- Heat your gas or charcoal grill to about 450 to 500 degrees F. Butter the insides of all the buns and place them near the grill.
- Put the patties on the grill over direct flame. And cook them to your desired doneness. (doneness of the burger is mentioned above in this blog).
- Turn the burgers at least when you are cooking, as much as you want. Never press down on the patties at any cost.
- Now you have to add the cheese and toast buns. When you think that there is only one minute left on the cooking time, it is the perfect time to add the cheese to your burgers and the buttered buns to the grill on indirect flame.
- Aas your cooking is done. Now remove the burgers and buns from the grill and place them on a clean platter. Let your burgers rest for at least 1 minute before serving.
- You may serve them with bacon jam, mayonnaise, tomato jam, blue cheese sauce, red onion, pickles, sauteed mushrooms, or garlic aioli.
Well, this is all about How Long Does it Take to Grill a Hamburger. From now you are fully aware of how long to grill your beef burgers. I hope you enjoyed reading this article and found it helpful.