Table of Contents
Summer squash and zucchini are available all year, however, they are more abundant during the summer months. They come in a range of shapes, sizes, and variants. In this article, we will discuss how to air fry zucchini squash.
Due to the considerable decrease in size that happens during the cooking process, six cups of sliced summer squash may be reduced to barely two cups after cooking. To make more, double the recipe and air fry in stages rather than all at once to avoid overcrowding the air fryer.
There are many easy meals that can be made to use up all of that delicious late summer squash! When you use the Air Fryer, it will guarantee that they are crispy and ideal for dipping. To go with it, make a low-carb dill dip or an avocado dip.
In this recipe, I use a combination of both to create a bright and sunny side dish. But before getting into the recipe, let us know more about summer squashes.
What Really Is Summer Squash?
Summer squash is defined as any kind of squash that is cultivated throughout the warmer months of the year until the beginning of the autumn season. Zucchini, patty pan squash, crookneck squash, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, and sugar pumpkins are some of the most popular summer squash kinds. Even eggplant is considered to be a kind of squash.
It is possible to use them interchangeably in almost any recipe, and they always provide color, taste, and a nutritional boost to the dish. A delicious addition to sauces, salads, bread, appetizers, and main courses, squash is a versatile ingredient.
How to Pick the Best Summer Squash?
When shopping for summer squash or zucchini at the grocery store, there are a few things to keep an eye out for.
- They should be solid to the touch, rather than rubbery or spongy, and should feel hefty for their size and weight distribution.
- Avoid having wrinkled skin: it should be soft and shiny, with no spots.
- Because they have delicate skin, it is normal for them to have nicks and scratches, but there should be no soft or damp places.
- The skin of the zucchini should have a dark green hue. It is best to avoid those that are beginning to yellow or discolor.
How to Air Fry Zucchini Squash?
Preheating the air fryer speeds up the process and allows the squash edges to get golden brown considerably faster than if the air fryer was used cold. Squash may get soggy quickly when cooked, but cutting it into coins keeps the seedy center from becoming mushy or breaking down too much during the cooking process. The idea is to not overcrowd the basket and to remove as much moisture as possible before putting it in the oven.
This may be performed by sprinkling it with salt and letting it sit for a few minutes (similar to how eggplant is done), then patting it dry with paper towels to eliminate excess moisture. You may be surprised at how much moisture is lost throughout the process.
Caramelization occurs after around 20 to 25 minutes of cooking, resulting in a delicate texture with a pleasing bite. You may air fry them in smaller batches or in one layer to shorten the cooking time, which should be around 15 minutes. Squash chips may also be made by slicing the squash more thinly and baking it.
How to Serve Air Fryed Squash?
Squash, being a light-tasting vegetable, can withstand a lot of heat and powerful flavors.
Before air frying the chicken breasts, season them with a Middle Eastern spice blend such as ras el hanout or Lebanese seven spice, or just a mixture of cinnamon and cumin. Serve on a bed of crumbled feta drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with torn fresh mint leaves. The combination of air-fried squash with creamy cheeses like feta, ricotta, labneh, or Greek yogurt is a gourmet match made in heaven.
In addition, I tossed the air-fried squash with a handful of chopped fresh tomatoes from the garden, a liberal sprinkling of fresh thyme, and a good grind of black pepper.
Air Fryer Squash
This is the finest recipe for squash ever. Simply slice the squash, season it, and cook it in the air fryer for a delicious side dish or appetizer.
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Time to cook: 20 to 25 minutes
Total time: 30 to 35 minutes
Servings: 4 servings each.
- Air fryer
- a large or two medium summer squashes
- 2 medium zucchinis or 1 big one
- Salt to taste, up to 1 tsp. Kosher
- 1/8 tsp. dried garlic
- Italian spice, about half a teaspoon
- Add more if necessary, but keep it at 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
- Olive oil, 1 tbsp.
- Basil leaves, split into two equal portions
- 1 lemon (organic if possible)
- Trim and cut 2 medium summer squash and 2 medium zucchini into 1/4-inch-thick rounds by cutting them crosswise. Transfer to a colander positioned in a sink to catch the excess liquid. Toss with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and toss again to coat the vegetables. Enable 10 to 15 minutes of rest time to allow some moisture to escape. In the meantime, preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Place the squash in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Pat the squashes thoroughly dry with extra paper towels before transferring them to a bowl. 1 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning to coat, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the rounds in the air fryer basket. Air fried until the edges are brown, about 20 to 25 minutes total, flipping halfway through. Meanwhile, tear the leaves from 2 fresh basil sprigs and set them aside.
- When the squash is done, mix it with approximately 2/3 of the basil in the basket to coat. Season the squash with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Place it in a medium serving dish. Just before serving, carefully grate the zest of 1/2 small lemon over the squash using a Microplane or the tiny holes of a box grater. Garnish with the remaining basil leaves if desired.
It’s a good idea to have a range of simple squash recipes on hand for daily healthy eating or entertaining. However, there are a few things to remember.
- If you have a small air fryer, cook in two batches to avoid overcrowding the basket and to guarantee that all pieces cook evenly and brown.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 days in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
Hope this article will help you to air fry Zucchini Squash successfully with the first try.