Table of Contents
How to Cook Cobia Fish On The Grill
The cobia fish is a type of oceanic chunk that is found in tropical to subtropical waters around the world. The cobia fish is also commonly referred to as Kingfish, Atlantic Cobia, and Robalo. Cooking cobia fish on the grill can be intimidating for some people who are not used to cooking this type of meat. However, there are many ways to prepare it so that it will taste delicious. Here are simple step-by-step instructions to help you cook cobia fish on the grill.
What Is The Best Way To Cook Cobia Fish On The Grill
The best way to cook cobia fish on the grill is to use indirect heat. The first step is to prepare your grill for cooking. You will need a charcoal or gas grill with a grate. Next, clean the grates and soak them in water so that they are ready when you are ready to cook. Once your grill is heated up, remove any excess grease from the top of the grates so that it doesn’t drip onto your food while cooking. Place an aluminum pan under the grate to catch any grease that may drip down. Place the cobia fish on the grill over indirect heat and cover with a foil tent for about 5-7 minutes on each side.
To cook your cobia fish on a stove, set it over medium-high heat and cover for about 3-4 minutes per side. Also to bake your cobia fish, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake at this temperature for about 10-12 minutes per inch of thickness.
To fry your cobia fish, set your stovetop to medium-high heat and let it heat up before adding oil or butter into the pan. Cook for about 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Buy the cobia fish
- Clean the cobia fish
- Soak the cobia in a saltwater brine
- Rinse the cobia and pat it dry with paper towels
- Season the outside of the fish with olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Set up your grill so that it is at a medium-high heat
- Put a piece of aluminum foil on top of your grill to prevent the fish from sticking to the grate
- Put your seasoned cobia on one side of the aluminum foil
- Flip your coins after 7 minutes
- Cook until it is flaky and golden brown – this should take about 12-15 minutes total
- Cut off any skin or bone from the inside of your cooked cobias
Cooking Time On The Grill
The cooking time will depend on the size of your cobia fish. If you’re grilling a whole cobia fish, then it will take about 20-25 minutes. For individual portions, cook for 8-10 minutes per side.
How To Clean The Cobia Fish
When you are prepping the cobia fish for cooking, it’s important to clean the cobia fish. The first step is to rinse it with water and pat it dry with a cloth or paper towel. You want to make sure that the cobia fish is completely dry before you cook it so that it will not cause flare-ups on the grill.
After you have cleaned the cobia fish, you can start to season it. Cobia has a very strong flavor that many people enjoy, but if you want to tone down the taste then this is a good time to do that as well. You can use any type of seasoning including salt and pepper, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, or whatever else your heart desires.
Next, skewer the cobia. You should skewer one side of the fillet and then cut a slit to make a pocket for stuffing with whatever type of sauce or topping you would like.
The final step of cooking cobia on the grill is putting on some oil onto your hands and rubbing them all over the outside of the fillet so that there is an even coat on top of it all. This will give your fillet more flavor while also ensuring that it does not stick to anything on your grill during cooking.
Tips On Grilling Cobia Fish
- Make sure your grill is hot before you cook the fish. Pat dry your cobia fish and sprinkle it with some salt and pepper.
- Melt some butter or margarine on a skillet and then place the cobia on top of it to cook for about five minutes on each side.
- When cooking on a gas grill, wait for the flames to die down before placing the cobia on the grill and wait for the flames to die down again before flipping over to cook the other side.
- Cook until there are no raw spots visible in between the flakes of meat, which can be achieved by making small cuts into the meat.
- Serve by slicing it up into pieces or wrapping up an individual piece of cobia in a tortilla with some melted cheese, salsa, sour cream, onion, lime wedges, and chips with a little bit of cilantro sprinkled on top as a garnish.
Recipe For Grilled Cobia With Citrus Sauce
1) Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
2) Coat the cobia with olive oil, salt, and pepper then grill for six minutes on each side until it is cooked through.
3) In a small bowl, mix the juice of one lemon, one orange, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1/4 cup of olive oil.
4) In a separate bowl, combine 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons of capers or pickled onion or cucumber slices if desired, and a pinch each of dried thyme and dried oregano.
5) Brush the cobia with some sauce from step 3.
6) Top with the mixture from step 4 and serve immediately hot off the grill.
Cobia is a delicious fish that can be grilled on the grill. Grilling cobia is a quick and easy way to cook the fish, and once you master the technique, you will be cooking this dish all summer!
Grilling cobia is a quick and easy way to cook the fish, and once you master the technique, you will be cooking this dish all summer!