Table of Contents
- How to Cook Broccoli on the Grill in Foil
How to Cook Broccoli on the Grill in Foil
Are you going to grill Broccoli but wondering about how to cook Broccoli on the grill in foil. Well, It’s no secret that we think grilling is one of the most perfect cooking methods around. And with Memorial Day coming up, it’s never been a better time to give your grill a good scrubbing and start firing up those coals.
Whether you’re looking to maximize your summer barbecue prowess or just want to insert some healthy greens into your diet, broccoli is an ideal candidate for the grill. But what about when you don’t want all of the added fats and oils from say, butter or oil? That’s where our lovely alternative aluminum foil; comes in.
Yes! we’re talking about that golden, non-sticky aluminium coating that keeps everything in place while grilling. It sounds so amazing and magical, you have to try it. Read this blog post till the end and get to know how to cook broccoli on the grill in foil.
How to Cook Broccoli on the Grill in Foil
Following are the ingredients and directions required for cooking this recipe.
- 1 head of broccoli, cut in bite-sized florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your grill to high heat.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil on the grill and place the florets on top. (It’s much easier to do this when you cut up your broccoli rather than when you buy it pre-cut.)
- Toss with olive oil and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until the florets are slightly browned and softened.
Note: If you’re grilling with a charcoal grill, add 1/4 cup water to your foil-lined pan and brush over each mound of broccoli as they cook. (Burning water can cause flare-ups. You can also put water in a spray bottle and mist over your broccoli florets as they cook.)
Easy Grilled Broccoli Foil Packets with Lemon
- 1 head broccoli, cut into 3-inch florets
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your grill to medium-hot.
- Place the florets onto the foil-lined pan, drizzle with the oil and toss once more. Sprinkle it with salt & pepper and place it under the grill.
- Cook for 5 – 7 minutes or unes it get lightly browned
- Serve over a bed of lettuce with a lemon tahini dressing.
What to serve with grilled broccoli foil packs?
Here are some of the amazing serving options for you:
- Serve with grilled chicken, fish, or shrimp over a bed of green salad.
- Serve with grilled steak or pork chops over a bed of broccoli slaw and creamy horseradish mustard.
- Use creamy dijon mustard with a bit of brown sugar or honey mixed in.
- Mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, or mashed sweet potatoes are also great to serve with broccoli. If you have a little extra time these are fantastic to make ahead and warm up in the microwave when you’re ready to eat.
- Simply mix your vegetables with a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper, and microwave for about 2 minutes until hot.
- Add some extra protein and flavor to your meal by adding some cooked and crumbled sausage, bacon bits, cranberries, raisins, or sunflower seeds.
Tips to cook Broccoli on the Grill in Foil
Following are some of the tips to cook Broccoli on the grill in foil.
- If you are going to be eating your broccoli right away, then make the foil packet larger so the broccoli has room to expand while it cooks.
- But if you plan on saving some for a few days, make sure your packet is smaller so that there is less room for the florets to expand and fill with liquid.
- Flip the florets over about halfway through cooking so that they cook evenly on both sides.
- When using aluminum foil add a bit of oil to help prevent sticking. (You can use butter or olive oil for this.) As you notice some sticking occurring, add more oil or butter to try and keep your grill from getting too dirty.
- If you have some extra time, bring a pan of water to a boil and then place your florets in the pan for about 5 minutes before placing them in your foil packet on the grill. This will help prevent sticking.
- After cooking and serving your broccoli, transfer it with a slotted spoon to a clean dish towel to absorb the extra grease. Label the dishtowel with the date so you know when it was cooked to avoid overcooking!
How do I remove my Broccoli from Foil Packets?
When you remove your florets from your foil packet, rinse under cold water in a colander and pat dry with paper towels. Remove florets from the foil and coat with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt before cooking.
When you are ready to serve, heat your grill up to medium-high heat. Place the florets on your cleaned grill rack and cover with foil while you check on other food being cooked. After about 5 minutes, remove the foil from the grill, flip the florets over and return to the grill for an additional 5-10 minutes or until desired doneness.
If you want more flavors in your broccoli, add some rosemary or some dried Italian seasoning at this point as well. Rinse and pat dry the florets again with a clean towel and serve immediately.
Tip: If you’re having trouble cutting your broccoli into bite-sized florets, consider placing it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before you try to cut it. This will make it much easier to cut than a fresh head of broccoli!
That’s all for this blog post. Now you know how to cook broccoli on the grill in foil. Then what are you waiting for? Go and grill delicious broccoli for your loved ones and enjoy!