Table of Contents
How to Grill Baby Octopus
Ever wanted to try something new but were too afraid of the risk? Well, why not try this delicious recipe for grilled octopus? The bright taste of the Mediterranean flavors will have your mouth watering.
There is a chance that you might be afraid of cooking it because it will dirty too many dishes or be a hassle to cook. Don’t worry, all you need is a grill or an oven and a sheet pan! You really can’t go wrong with these amazing grilled baby octopuses.
Here we are going to discuss how to grill baby octopus with an easy recipe. This recipe includes all the required ingredients and instructions for your ease.
How to Grill Baby Octopus?
Following is a recipe for grilled baby octopus. So let’s get started directly with the ingredients.
- 10 -12 baby octopus
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 lemon
- First, clean the octopus, then boil it in salty boiling water for one and a half minutes, drain and allow them to cool. (if you don’t want your baby octopus to shrink).
- Once cool, rinse baby octopus under cold running water until they are cleaned properly. Pat it dry with a paper towel.
- The fun part is starting to make this delicious recipe for grilled baby octopus. Prepare your grill and oil it with olive oil. Mix all the chopped herbs, garlic, and chili flakes into the olive oil, then rub on the skin of the baby octopus. Rub it until you are satisfied with the color you want your grilled octopus to have.
- Wrap them with aluminum foil, then the grill. You don’t need time to do this part because the octopus will turn out just perfect.
- When you are sure that your octopus is ready, please remove it from the heat and let it sit until it cools down. Once cooled down, separate the tentacles from its body and set them aside for the recipe of grilled baby octopus.
- Take the tentacles and dry them with a paper towel.
- This next part is optional; if you want your octopus to have more color and taste, grill the tentacles on each side for 3 minutes or until they turn slightly brown.
- Now it is time for the dish to be plated up and served; enjoy!
If you want to decorate it, even more, mix all the herbs with lemon juice, then press it on top of the octopus.
Tips to Grill the Baby Octopus
Follow these tips carefully for the perfect grilled baby octopus:
- While grilling octopus, the key is to have it cooked properly to avoid flipping it because its meat parts are very tender and can easily get torn. Octopus are very slippery, so they will easily slip out of your hand when the grill is hot.
- You must go with a medium temperature when you grill octopus. You have to leave it on the indirect side to avoid burning them and turn them over once.
- Remember that you have to allow them to cool before turning them into the oven or grill.
- You can add some more oil to the octopus after grilling it to those who love seasonings and spices to add another layer of flavor. You can also use pinot grigio or any other white wine for this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long do you have to cook baby octopus before grilling?
Baby octopus can be cooked for about 15 minutes or until they turn soft. The cooking time of this recipe usually depends on how long you want your octopus to be done. Remember that it is recommended to cook the baby octopus on a medium heat grill with very little charcoal to not get too charred.
Once the grilled baby octopus has cooled down, you can wrap them in aluminum foil and place them in your refrigerator. This will help them stay fresh for two days. Baby octopus recipes are very simple to make. They also require less cooking time.
Q: What does Baby Octopus taste like?
Baby octopus is tender and has a very creamy taste to it. Its meat is very soft, which makes it easy to cook. Baby octopus will also make a great addition to any meal you might be having. Their mild taste goes well with any side dish that you want to add to the recipe.
Q: How long do Baby Octopuses last?
Baby octopuses can last up to two days when they are in their original packaging and stored in your freezer. However, it is still recommended to cook them before serving because they will get tough and dry if they are stored in the fridge.
Q: How can you grill baby octopus without foil?
To grill baby octopus without foil, you need to follow these instructions:
- Turn up the heat on your grill too high.
- Put the octopus on the grill for about 30 minutes until it is done cooking.
- Turn off the heat and let them sit for 10 minutes before serving.
So, it’s all about this article. We hope that you know thoroughly how to grill baby octopus.
The recipe for grilled baby octopus is simple without many ingredients. So try it, and you won’t be disappointed. If you have any other questions about grilled baby octopus, just leave a comment. We will answer you soon!