Best Microwave Oven for Elderly in 2023
Table of Contents
The Best Microwave Ovens for seniors
For elderly people, the simplest of task like deciding on what to eat is enough to wear them out. This is why microwave ovens come in handy for seniors and the elderly. With the right appliance, a microwave oven can improve safety in the kitchen, especially for seniors who live on their own.
To be able to ensure this, it is important to choose the best microwave oven for elderly. With so many options in the market, choosing the right one can sometimes be a task.
If you are in the market for the best microwave oven for an elderly person, here is a comprehensive review of the three best options in the market today.
|Amazon Basics Microwave bundle with Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - Charcoal||Learn more|
|Top||Sharp R-21LCFS Medium Duty Commercial Microwave (Dial Timer, 1000-Watts, 120-Volts) (Update of R-21LCF)||Learn more|
|Samsung MS11K3000AS 1.1 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Oven with Sensor and Ceramic Enamel Interior, Silver Sand||Learn more|
Amazon Basics Microwave bundle with Echo Dot
If your kitchen comes with limited counter space but you still need an affordable but functional microwave in a compact size, or you just need a second small microwave for whatever reason, this AmazonBasics unit should be your go-to choice. It comes in a small size, measuring 17.3″ x 14.1″ ensuring it occupies the smallest section on your countertop. You will barely notice it is there.
Despite coming in an exceptionally low price range, this appliance offers all the basics you would expect in a microwave in terms of settings/features. It comes with 10 progressive power levels up to 700 watts, an LED display kitchen timer, a child lock, and a 10-inch glass turntable. On top of these basic features, the AmazonBasics microwave comes enabled to pair with the Amazon Echo dot, Alexa, making it a smart appliance meant to make life easier for seniors, especially those with limited mobility.
It is important to note that while it is compatible with Alexa, the microwave’s basic package does not include an Echo dot. This means that you are required to purchase the echo dot separately, or as part of your purchase. With this feature, you are able to control cooking options on this microwave using your voice. Now that is smart functionality that is exclusively common in high-end kitchen appliances, that cost an arm and a leg, but you get it with this high end yet affordable microwave.
That is not all. With this smart feature, you do not have to specify the details of your microwave use as is common with manual operated microwaves. You can ask Alexa to heat a cup of noodles for it to set this optimal power and time for this function automatically.
One more important detail worth mentioning is that when this microwave is paired with the Echo dot, Alexa works by remembering the last time the microwave door was opened. For this reason, it is important to ensure the microwave door is properly opened each time before a command to make it easier for Alexa to turn on the microwave following a voice command. Bottom line, this is definitely one of the best microwave oven for seniors and the elderly.
- This bundle contains the Amazon Basics Microwave and the Echo Dot (3rd Gen).
- Now it’s easier to defrost vegetables, make popcorn, cook potatoes, and reheat rice. Quick-cook voice presets and a simplified keypad let you just ask Alexa to start microwaving.
- Automatically reorder popcorn when you run low and save 10% on popcorn orders—enabled by Amazon Dash Replenishment technology.
- Compact size saves counter space, plus 10 power levels, a kitchen timer, a child lock, and a turntable.
- Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new presets.
Sharp R-21LCFS Medium Duty Commercial Microwave
The Sharp R-21LCF medium-duty commercial microwave is one of the most favorite microwaves amongst seniors.
As a dial microwave, it is incredibly simple to operate for the elderly. It comes with the ability to set a dial timer from 10 seconds to 10 minutes to meet different food prep needs. It comes with a panel with time guide for cooking certain foods. While this Sharp microwave is branded and sold as a commercial microwave, it is amazingly simple to operate even for senior citizens who prefer using it for home use. It is one of the best microwaves for any kitchen.
Spacious microwaves are the most suitable for senior citizens, and this is one of the most spacious microwaves in the market today. This microwave has won the hearts of many elderly citizens since it was first introduced in the market in the early 2000’s. At an affordable price range of a little under the $300, this microwave oven comes highly recommend for use by elderly folks!
- SIMPLE TO OPERATE: The classic dial timer can be set anywhere from 10 seconds to 6 minutes and includes bright LED indicators that permits at-a-glace monitoring.
- SPACIOUS INTERIOR: The 1. 0 cu. ft. capacity can accommodate a 13-1/2 platter, prepackaged foods, single servings or a half-size pan in either direction.
- AUTO-CANCEL TIMER: When the door is opened during cooking, the remaining time is cancelled; saving energy and increasing the magnetrons life.
- EASY TO MAINTAIN: Stainless steel exterior wrap and interior for easy cleaning and a commercial look.
- HEATING TIME GUIDE: A handy on-the-spot reference for timesaving convenience is located above the timer with recommended times for heating a variety of popular foods.
Samsung MS11K3000AS 1.1 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Oven
The MS11K3000AS microwave oven from Samsung is yet another great optimal choice for senior citizens. Built by one of the largest companies in the world, this microwave oven comes with all the blows and whistles needed in a microwave for senior people and is fairly priced at under $150.
Samsung is a brand that specializes in home appliances and the Samsung this microwave oven is one of their best innovations. It comes with a rotary dial for setting the time and has preset buttons for easy operation.
The 1.1 cu.ft. Cavity comes 3 microwave distribution points that helps to cook your food thoroughly and evenly. It also comes with a big LED display, which is helpful to visually impaired seniors while at the same time adding style to any kitchen.
- Effortlessly remove grease or oil from surfaces and protect against scratches that occur from daily use
- Automatically adjusts cooking time with vapor-sensing technology for optimal results. Item Dimensions-20.4 W x 16.9 D x 11.7 H inches. Power Cord Length-39.37 inches
- Easy to use dial control allows you to add or decrease time while cooking, adding convenience and precision
- Three microwave distribution points to cook food evenly and thoroughly. Product Weight (lb.)-31.9 lb.
- Striking blue LED display adds clarity and style to your kitchen.Amp Circuit:13
How to choose the best microwave oven for elderly
To be able to choose the best microwave oven for the elderly, you need to consider several factors.
For the elderly, it is far better to consider choosing a simple microwave oven. This includes one with fewer buttons and controls and pre-programmed settings to make it easy to use. This makes it easy for the senor to control the microwave.
Push vs. pull
Generally, microwaves can be opened by either pushing a button or pulling a door handle. Depending on the physical condition of the senior, you need to choose a microwave that presents the easiest way to open and close. While some seniors may find pull handles easier to use, there are others who do not have the physical capability to pull the door every time they need to use the microwave. Therefore, a push button door is usually ideal.
A large display
For better visuals, seniors require microwave ovens that come with large displays. This is especially helpful for seniors with visual impairment who need a simple to use dial microwave. Brands such as MaxiAids is known to make microwaved suitable for visually impaired users. Whichever brand you go for, ensure it comes with a display that makes controlling it easy for the elderly.
Friendly features for seniors
Some seniors live with conditions such as Alzheimer’s and dementia. It is important to consider microwave ovens that are friendly to people living with these conditions. These types of microwaves come with auto shutoff features, and reminder sounds to remind the user that their food is ready and when they have not taken it out of the microwave.
With so many options in the market, it is easy to get overwhelmed when choosing the best microwave oven for elderly. With this guide, you can choose the best one for your needs, or simply pick one from the three best options reviewed above.