Table of Contents
- Learn how Long to Cook Chicken Leg Quarters on the Grill
- Barbecue Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
- How Long to Cook Chicken Leg Quarters on the Grill
- How long it may take you to cook chicken leg quarters on a charcoal grill?
- How long do you have to cook chicken on each side of your grill?
- Tips for Amazing Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
- Final thoughts
Learn how Long to Cook Chicken Leg Quarters on the Grill
How long to Cook Chicken Leg Quarters on the Grill? Well, many people ask this question. Read this blog to learn complete details bout cooking chicken legs.
Chicken leg quarters simply seasoned with some rub and grilled on a propane grill, are a perfectly juicy and tender addition to your dinner. You may also brush out some of your desired barbecue sauces for enjoying a great sticky and smoky summer dinner.
In this blog, we are going to discuss a simple BBQ grilled recipe of chicken leg quarters. Along with it, we will also discuss some of the questions like how long you may have to cook chicken leg quarters on the grill and more like that!
Barbecue Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
Here is a very easy recipe of grilled chicken leg quarters for you to add an excellent addition to your supper.
- 4 chicken leg quarters
For Dry Rub
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Half tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- 1/ 4 teaspoon onion powder
- cumin powder
- 1/ 4 teaspoon black pepper
- garlic powder
For Basting Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Half teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Half cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Half teaspoon liquid smoke
- Put all the ingredients of dry rub in a small bowl and mix them well. Then rub the chicken leg quarters in that mixture all over and under the skin.
- Bring the legs to normal temperature for about 2 hours.
- Now heat your propane or charcoal grill to 500 degrees F. While your grill is heating, put the ingredients of basting sauce in a medium bowl, mix them well, and set the bowl aside.
- Put the chicken legs in the center of the grill. Turn off the middle burner and lower the flame on the outer burners of the grill to bring the temperature to about 350 degrees F.
- Baste the chicken on top and close the lid of the grill. Allow your chicken quarters legs to cook for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and baste it again. Repeat the same step twice after every 10 to 12 minutes for a total of about 45 minutes.
- Check the temperature of the meat with the help of a meat thermometer. It must be read between 155 to 165 degrees F.
- After that, baste both sides of the chicken with barbecue sauce and again close the lid of the grill. Allow them to cook for another 5 to 8 minutes or unless the internal temperature may reach 165 to 270 degrees.
- Now remove the chicken legs from the grill and allow them to rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- You can also brush more barbecue sauce on the top of your legs before serving.
How Long to Cook Chicken Leg Quarters on the Grill
The time of grilling your chicken legs quarters entirely depends on the size of the quarters you are going to cook. They may take anywhere from 40 to 55 minutes to completely cook on the grill. It is recommended to use a meat thermometer for properly checking the temperature of the meat.
The meat thermometer also avoids any risk of food poisoning. You have to aim for a minimum of 165 to 170 degrees F. However, you may still see some pinkish meat from inside but as the temperature of your grill is high and all set to the desired temperature, you do not have to worry about that.
How long it may take you to cook chicken leg quarters on a charcoal grill?
Heat your charcoal grill to 300 degrees F and put the leg quarters on the grill in such a way that their skin side is up. Cover them and cook for about 15 to 18 minutes. Turn the chicken and continue cooking for another 15 to 18 minutes or unless your internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees F.
How long do you have to cook chicken on each side of your grill?
You have to grill the chicken breasts for about 9 to 10 minutes, turning halfway through. But the question is how long do you have to cook chicken on each side on the grill? Well! The answer is to grill the chicken leg quarters for about 5 minutes on each side.
Tips for Amazing Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
Here are some of the amazing tips for the perfect grilling chicken leg quarters every time.
- Rub the grates of the grill with oil before even cooking. It may help you in keeping the chicken from sticking during grilling.
- Cook your chicken on medium flame to avoid burning it. The basting sauce may help you in giving the color to your chicken, but the flame that is too high can sear the chicken’s skin before your chicken is grilled. It is better to preheat your grill to 500 degrees F and lower it to almost 350 degrees when your chicken is over the coals.
- Always cover your grill. Because a covered grill may create a seal that surrounds your chicken from all the sides and it makes sure an even cook as you are grilling. There is no lid on your grill? Well! Turn a disposable foil roasting pan upside down on the chicken for a similar effect.
- Never baste with barbecue sauce until the end. As the sugars in the sauce are guaranteed to scorch your chicken’s skin when it is not even cooked, therefore save it for 5 to 8 minutes.
- It is better to use a thermometer as your chicken has to be cooked to a safe temperature of 165 degrees F. And one of the best and easiest ways to ensure that is by using an instant-read meat thermometer.
We hope that you have learned how long to cook chicken leg quarters on your grill. As the meat is cooked, this makes it easier for you to shred or chop the chicken into small pieces and so on. Also, the cooking of the chicken may take less time if they are cut into parts before being placed in a foil. Enjoy this delicious recipe now.