Table of Contents
How to Cook Fish Sticks in Air Fryer?
These self-made Air Fryer Fish sticks are crispy, golden brown, and spicy. Use cod or salmon fillets to create this healthy family meal. More oven directions are included in this article! The first time I made these Air Fryer Fish Sticks, I used frozen fish strips that I had picked up from Costco. They were outstanding, and I was thinking everything to be perfect! Well, this week, I gave them another go with frozen salmon ties, and oh-me, oh-my, they were crazy DELICIOUS! As a delicate restaurant quality. I will be making these simple fish sticks all the time. So the moral of the story is to use what you have access to and use what you love, but whatever you do, make these Fish sticks ASAP!
Fish Fillets – You will need fresh, skinless fish fillets. I tested this recipe with both cod and salmon, and both were incredible. Cod is a very economical way, but I must say that the salmon sticks hit me and left me. Good! I always have a wide variety of frozen fish in my fridge. They are very high quality and come with a closed vacuum very quickly. Once frozen, the fish should be completely melted before starting.
Flour – I use flour for all purposes.
Eggs – You will need three large eggs.
Bread crumbs – Unmeasured panko bread crumbs are the best way to breading and frying. They are made of white bread without crust and have a larger grain than crumbs of ordinary bread. The texture is light and airy and well-cooked until golden brown perfection in an air fryer
Salt and Pepper – Salt and fresh black pepper.
Old Bay – This ancient seafood combination has a unique flavor that healthily enhances seafood. Old Bay Seasoning contains edible vegetable salt, a variety of other spices, and a good amount of paprika that helps improve the color of the bread.
Parsley – You want to go with dried parsley to get the best result.
Garlic powder – To add more flavor to the bread.
Nonstick spray – Most manufacturers warn that spray-cooking can damage the non-stop coating of the air basket over time. So instead, use a nonstick cooking spray. I love the Avocado Oil Spray, which is readily available at most supermarkets and online. You can also use vegetable oil and fill it with your cooking oil.
Tartar sauce – I recommend mixing my Tartar Sauce collection. It raises these Air Fish sticks to be at the level of the restaurant.
Lemons – Serve the fish sticks with lemon chunks on the side.
Organize the Fish and Ingredients:
- Pat the fillets dry with paper towels. Cut the length into strips of about 1- x 4-inches. I cut my cod strips into three strands, each with a total of 12 strands.
- Spice up the fish with salt and a little pepper to taste.
- Using glass pie containers, mix the flour and salt and the remaining residue in a shallow bowl. In a 2nd bowl, beat the eggs. In a third bowl, combine panko, Old Bay Seasoning, parsley, and garlic powder.
- To start with a dry hand, coat each piece of fish with powdered flour.
- Using the same hand, set the flour-coated in the flour part of the egg. Then, switch to wet hand to wrap all the fish in the beaten egg, allowing excess to fall back into the bowl.
- Use a wet hand to move a piece of fish to the crumbs of the bread—switch back on the dry hand to cover it well with bread crumbs all around. Next, roll the bread crumbs on parchment paper or foil and repeat with the remaining fish sticks. You will probably find that you need to stand up and wash your hands once or twice during the procedure. However, it works like a charm as long as you remember which hand you have!
- Spray the none stick oil on the basket of an air fryer.
- Sprinkle the tops of the bread crumbs with the cooking oil and do not place them in the hot air fryer, leaving a small space in between.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, flipping through the fish in the middle of cooking time.
To keep your first batch warm while cooking the rest, place it on a baking sheet and transfer it to a 200-degree F. oven.
Some common Oven References
Preheat the oven to 425 F. Wear a rim baking sheet for great cooking. Place the bread crumbs on a prepared baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with a nonstick cooking spray—Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use the panels to spray the fish sticks (be sure to close the oven door – you want to stay HOT there). Wipe the tops with an extra endless cooking spray and return the fish sticks to the oven for an additional 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden, and the internal temperature is at least 145 degrees F.
Details of the food provided are for Air Fryer Fish Sticks only and do not include condiments. Cooking time is designed for two sets. Additional batches will increase the whole time. If you would like to increase the number of fish, this recipe makes enough bread to weigh up to two pounds. Once frozen, the fish should be completely melted before starting.
Many manufacturers warn that spraying with harmful sprays can damage the non-stop coating of the air fryer basket over time. So instead, use a sticking-free cooking spray. I love the Avocado Oil Spray, which is readily available at most supermarkets and online. You can also use vegetable oil and fill it with your cooking oil if you like. Just be sure to use a high smoke point oil such as canola or avocado oil.
I love to cook fish and the dishes made by it, but these fish sticks have a special place and space in my heart. These sticks are the best snacks for the kids and teenagers and also can be served as a delicious dinner on the table. The recipe is relatively easy.