Table of Contents
Before using a flat top grill, it is important to take the time to season it. By following the right seasoning process, you can be sure that your flat top grill will deliver the best grilling service without worrying about the sticking of food when grilling. Also, seasoning your grill is a way of protecting the grates or griddle from wear and tear.
If you are new to flattop griddle seasoning, this is simply adding oil to the surface of a griddle. This is done to protect your food from sticking on the griddle and causing a mess in the kitchen. Also, a non-stick griddle is easier to clean as there are minimal to no food particles.
Before you can season a griddle, you will need to clean it. There are numerous methods of cleaning a griddle, using natural products in your home.
|Kelapo Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Cooking Spray, 5-Ounce Can||Learn more|
|Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Non-Stick Cooking Spray - No Propellants, Eco Friendly, 2 pack||Learn more|
|Weber Grill'N Spray 6 Oz. - Pack of 3||Learn more|
How to clean a flat top grill using vinegar
Whether you are a professional chef or you grill socially, a flat top grill can give you better results if it is cleaned regularly. If you prefer cleaning it after each use, you can use vinegar as a natural cleaning agent. When properly cared for, a flat top grill can give you years of service. Vinegar is not only a recommended cleaning agent, but it also helps to prevent rusting and allows you to use oil to season the flat top surface.
To clean a flat top grill using vinegar:
- Mix the required amount of vinegar and water in a 2:1 ratio and pour half the mixture into a spray bucket.
- Spray the first half onto the flat surface and leave it for about five minutes. This allows the water and vinegar mixture to soak into the debris. Once it is soaked in, use a grill brush to get rid of the debris on the flat top.
- Dip a rag in the other half of the mixture, wring it and wipe the surface of the flat top with the rag. Ensure the cloth is clean to prevent contaminating the flat top with dirt.
- Treat the clean surface by wiping oil on it. This will give it a non-stick effect, which prevents debris buildup for some time. The oil treatment also makes cleaning the grill easier in the future.
How to clean a flat top grill using a grill brick
Grill bricks make it easier to remove food debris and grease from the surface of a flat top grill. The best thing about grills bricks is that they do not absorb the grease and bad odor from the grill. This makes it easy to clean after using for flat top cleaning process. Grill bricks are also the best cleaning tools when you want to get rid of small food residues from your flat top. The best ones come with handles that make using the brick easier.
- Pour a cup of olive oil on a hot flat top grill
- Use the grill brick to scrub the surface of the flat top using circular motions until all the debris is removed.
- Scrape off the olive oil through the grease trough to get rid of it
- Pour a cup of soda water onto the hot flat top to remove any hardened grease
- Again, use the grill brick to scrub the surface in circular motions as you drain the remaining liquid through the grease trough.
- Pour half a cup of lemon juice/soda water mixture or the vinegar and water mix, onto the grill’s surface
- Rub the cleaning mixture off the surface using a clean grill rag until it gets a polished finish.
How clean a flat top grill using lemon juice
The most common foods cooked on flat top grills include vegetables eggs and meats. Soy sauce, herbs, and salt are commonly used for seasoning, not forgetting oil. With time, the oil used to grill the foods mixes with food debris, causing a buildup of grease on the flat top surface. If not cleaned after every use, this buildup can stick on the flat top cooking surface, creating a hard surface that affects how well your grill works.
Lemon juice can help to rid our flat top from this debris. To do this:
- Soften the hardened debris on the flat top surface by heating the grill
- Scrape off the residue and grease using a scraper. Ensure you use a heavy-duty triangular scraper. This is the best choice if you want to reach the corners of the flat top.
- Spray the grill with soda water and lemon juice mixture and leave it for five minutes. This allows the mixture to sip through the debris and char.
- After five minutes, it will be easier to remove food residue and grease with a bit of scrubbing. Ensure you scrub in circular motions using a scouring pad. A heat resistant grill squeegee is also a fantastic scrubbing tool. It helps to rid the flat surface of any debris left after the cleaning.
- Wipe the surface with a grill rag. It is now ready for the next use.
Recommendations for the best oil for flat top grill
Once the grill is clean, you need to coat the surface of the griddle with oil to give it the non-stick effect. You can use cooking sprays to achieve the same goals.
Kelapo Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
It comes on one 5-ounce can of Kelapo Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Cooking Spray. This convenient spray coats baking pans and frying pans to form a nonstick surface, which makes it perfect for tabletop grills. It is 100% natural, unrefined, vegetarian, and organic, You can us it as an all-natural alternative to other cooking sprays.
Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Non-Stick Cooking Spray
This comes in a Two (2) 5-fl.oz sprays, pack in a total 10 oz. this non-stick spray is first Cold Press and Eco-Friendly. It contain no propellants, no CFCs, zero trans-fat, and no cholesterol. It is also preservatives free, naturally Gluten Free, and non-allergenic. It is perfect for Salads, Pastas, and for drizzling.
Weber Grill’N Spray
This comes in a pack of three Cans. It is made safe enough to spray in a hot grill. This ensures you can add an extra coating of non-stick layer while grilling without worrying about flare-ups.
Cleaning and seasoning a flat top grill offers numerous benefits. Scrapping grease and food remnants as soon as you finish grilling ensures your grill is decontaminated and ready for use again. Also, regular cleaning helps to prevent the growth of molds and bacteria, especially if you do not use it regularly. It is also the perfect way of preventing rusting.