Table of Contents
How to Cook Orange Roughy on the Grill
This article is a recipe for how to cook orange roughy on the grill. It’s a great alternative to cooking fish with mayo or casserole dishes. Orange roughy can be found in most grocery stores.
It’s also not too difficult to prepare and can be made without any complicated cooking techniques needed. If you’re an expert when it comes to cooking fish, then feel free to use your favorite recipe for orange roughy with mayo or casserole dishes.
However, this blog post is about an amazing recipe to cook orange roughy. Along with it, we will also discuss some alternative methods for cooking this fish.
How to Cook Orange Roughy on the Grill
- 1 package orange roughy (about 2 lbs)
- 2 lemons cut in half
- 4 sprigs of thyme (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Lemon juice
- Clean the fish and pat dry it by using a paper towel. Then, cut it into portions using a sharp knife or kitchen shears. Or you can ask your butcher to cut the fish into portions for you.
- Slice the lemon in half and place it on the grill. Let them cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on both sides until lightly browned. While doing so spray some lemon juice on top of each lemon slice (this will ensure that they are juicy).
- Sprinkle the fish pieces with salt and pepper.
- Then, grease the grill grates with a little more oil that you’re going to use for grilling them. This will prevent food from sticking to your grill grates when cooking this dish.
- Place the pre-cut pieces of fish on the grill and cook each side until they start to develop a nice brown color (this may take between 6-8 minutes per side).
- While your fish is cooking, place the slices of lemon on top of the pieces – this will give your dish a nice tangy flavor and a unique taste.
- After the fish is done cooking, remove it from the grill and serve it with a side of vegetables, a salad, and corn on the cob.
- Enjoy the dish!
Tip: If you want the dish to contain less oil (which can sometimes make cooking fish a little bit tricky) then serve it with a side of plain lemon juice. This will help give it a more delicate taste.
You can use fresh parsley instead of thyme. Just remove the leaves from the stems and place them on top of your fish slices. This will give it even more flavor and an extra kick of parsley taste.
How do you tell when your orange roughy is done?
There are a few ways to tell whether your orange roughy is done or not.
1- When you smell the fish and it has a nice, not overpowering, scent then it’s ready to be served. The aroma of the fish should smell good and not foul-smelling. If the smell is foul then it means that your fish is overcooked and needs to be removed from the grill immediately.
2- The fish should look opaque when you slice it and shouldn’t have any shades of light pink color. It has to be cooked through for it to be juicy. Fresh orange roughy will have a nice pink color to its flesh when uncooked but will turn white after cooking. If the fish is not opaque and you can still see shades of light pink in the flesh then it’s not fully cooked yet.
3- When you cut into the fish’s flesh, there should be no blood. This means that the fish is completely cooked through. It might take longer to cook the fish than usual if it has been sitting out of the refrigerator for a while, so if you want yours any faster cook it in a very hot oven, grill, or on the stovetop.
What are the alternative methods to cook orange roughy?
Grilled orange roughy is one of the easiest recipes to prepare. However, if you’d like to avoid the hassle of grilling and select to use another cooking method then you can do so. Just don’t forget that it will take longer for the fish to reach its ideal texture and flavor.
However, the methods are:
- Baked orange roughy can be made in the oven by using a simple method. Just mix the ingredients and transfer them to a casserole dish and bake according to the recipe provided.
- Using your microwave is another way that you can cook your orange roughy to get cooked fish. Simply combine all of the ingredients (except for the oil of your choice) in microwavable containers and cook on high power for 8 minutes. You can also cook your fish on medium power for 5 to 7 minutes, depending on the thickness of the pieces of fish.
- Another way of cooking orange roughy is on the stove. And it will take longer than doing so on a grill or in an oven. Simply add oil to a skillet and then heat it on high heat till the oil just starts to smoke. Place your orange roughy in the pan and then allow them to cook for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Using a crockpot is another way that you can cook this dish but it will also take longer for the fish to reach its ideal texture and flavor. Simply place your orange roughy in the slow cooker, cover it with lemon slices, add spices and cooking liquid of your choice. And turn the crockpot on high till the fish is done cooking (it should take between 2 to 3 hours).
Now you get all the information and instructions on how to cook orange roughy on the grill. Enjoy the grilling with your family and friends and have fun!