How to Cook Wild Turkey Breast on the Grill
Table of Contents
Cook Wild Turkey Breast Recipe
A wild turkey is a great game and a fantastic meal. Grilling may work better while cooking thawed previously frozen turkey breast but it can do best with a fresh turkey breast. Wondering about how to cook wild turkey breast on the grill? Well, it is a simple and easy grilled turkey breast recipe that can be a perfect idea to enjoy a small gathering.
Just fire up your grill because you will certainly want to make the turkey breasts. It can also be a great option for smaller holiday gatherings or might be a delightful option for a weekend night supper.
In this article, we will discuss how to cook wild turkey breast on the grill along with all other related concerns about it.
How to Cook Wild Turkey Breast on the Grill
Here is an easy recipe for you with all the ingredients and directions available to cook wild turkey breasts on the grill. Make sure you follow the instructions diligently to get the best results for your grilled turkey breast.
- 1 or 2 turkey breasts(fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Fresh black pepper
- Salt to taste
Chopping and Marinating Ingredients
- 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 teaspoons of coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano leaves
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1 tomato sliced in half
- 1 bell pepper (any colour), chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and cut into slices
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Place the olive oil in a bowl. Add salt and pepper, oregano, garlic, and onions. Put half of the marinade into a resealable or zipped lock plastic bag.
- Add the turkey breast(s) to this bag along with the remaining half of the marinade. close it with a seal and place it in the refrigerator for 4 – 6 hours to allow flavors to infuse in the meat.
- Preheat the barbecue grill on medium-high heat. Place turkey breasts on a grill rack that has been oiled lightly with olive oil or vegetable oil spray.
- Cook for about 10 minutes per side until well done (internal temperature of 170 degrees). Remember to baste it with marinade several times while cooking. This will give a nice flavor to your grilled turkey breast.
- Flip it periodically during the cooking process. Be careful to not overcook your grilled turkey breast as it will get tough, grill for about 10 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
- Remove the turkey breast from the grill and let it rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve them hot, to garnish, slice the lemon that was halved into quarters and squeeze juice over your grilled turkey breast
Tips to Cook Wild Turkey Breast on the Grill
- It is best to use a digital thermometer to check the internal temperature of your wild turkey breast. If using a fresh turkey breast, also check for doneness using an instant-read thermometer until 165 degrees F.
- Preparing your grill must be done before you start cooking your grilled turkey breast.
- Another important thing to consider is that the grilling time may vary depending on the size of the meat.
- Your grilled turkey breast is great with a generous slice of cheese placed on top. However, you may also serve it with pasta or as sandwiches.
- The marinated grilled wild turkey breast can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 days. It can be frozen for later use up to 6 months or more based on your preferences and storage requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How Long to Grill Turkey Breast?
For the juiciest, most flavorful turkey breast, plan on grilling it for about an hour. It is important to start with a cold grill and a properly thawed turkey breast. If you have time for dinner, you can slice it and place it back in the refrigerator until ready to grill.
Any more than an hour may dry out your meat. If you are using frozen turkey breasts that were not properly thawed, be sure to allow extra time so the meat is fully defrosted when you begin grilling. The ideal temperature for grilled turkey breast is between 350 and 400 degrees.
With a fully thawed turkey breast, you should expect to cook it for about 15 minutes per pound of meat on the grill. Use a meat thermometer so that you know when it has reached its safe internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Q: Best Types of Cooked Turkey Breast, Grilled or Smoked?
Some people may wonder about the difference between grilled and smoked turkey breast. To some, smoked turkey breast can have a better flavor, but it comes with the added time for smoking it. Others prefer to grill their turkey breasts to enjoy the freshness of its taste.
Smoked turkey breast can be difficult to slice if you want thin slices for sandwiches, but if you prefer thicker slices, it may not be an issue. Ultimately, you should choose whatever method works best for your preference as well as your schedule before your guests arrive.
Q: How to Slice Turkey Breast?
First, you need to make sure the turkey breast is completely defrosted and dry. Next, you need to slice the meat in 1/2 inch strips. This will help you cut thin slices of your grilled or smoked turkey breast.
On a meat slicer or a sharp knife, slice the meat very thinly in long strips. Once your turkey breast is sliced into long thin strips, you will want to make sure that each strip is 1 inch long and 3/4 inch wide at its widest point. This should give you about 10 to 12 slices per pound of meat.
That’s all about grilled wild turkey breast. Hope you understand how to cook wild turkey breast on the grill. Now grill the delightful turkey and have fun with your loved ones.