Table of Contents
- How To Season A Charcoal Grill
How To Season A Charcoal Grill
How To Season A Charcoal Grill? Charcoal grills are undoubtedly amazing when it comes to BBQ events. Their legacy could be explained by the fact that people cannot stop using charcoal grills despite the introduction of gas grills and environmentally-friendly electric grills.
So the real BBQ foodies always prefer to grill using a charcoal grill. Else they would not eat with interest. The food tastes average when cooked on a gas or electric grill, but it turns out to be extraordinary when using a charcoal grill.
So with so much value, these grills are in high demand. People, especially newbies, skim through the internet to find details to operate the charcoal grill as simple as cooking down the charcoal grill.
This article will let you know how to season a charcoal grill rightly.
Why Charcoal Grills Are So Famous
The reason behind so much importance that charcoal grills have is their features to the food. Whenever you grill something on a charcoal grill, the food gets a perfect blend of taste and a charcoal aroma that pleases you with every bite.
So the real BBQ foodies always prefer to grill on a charcoal grill. However, there is criticism on a charcoal grill for being bad for the environment by generating smoke. Still, they are in high demand. We can predict that charcoal grills are not going off markets anytime soon. So let’s get into the details of charcoal grills and learn how to use them like a pro.
Components Of A Charcoal Grill
So before starting with the operating procedure, let’s have a look at all the components of a charcoal grill. With time charcoal grills have evolved too, but if we consider the most standard and cheapest option, it’s made up of metal sheets with a charcoal pan and a grid to allow grilling food.
However, the modern charcoal grills have a lid that minimizes heat loss, and the food is grilled in half time compared to the normal grills.
So we can say charcoal grills are like all the other grills. The only difference here is the usage of charcoal to cook food and give it a smoky flavour.
How To Turn On The Flames On A Charcoal Grill
With all the features that a charcoal grill provides, there are certain challenges associated with it. A charcoal grill doesn’t have direct fire burners, so you must perform the task manually. So to turn on the charcoal grill manually, you can use the following ways:
- Use fire starters that could be easily located in any local shop. All you have to do is gather a bunch of fire starters on the grill and fire them; the coals will burn themselves once the flames are there.
- Another way to fire the charcoals instantly is by using fire catching flued. Pour the lued all over the coals and let them absorb. Afterwards, fire them using a match stick.
These are two common ways to fire the charcoal grill, but a common thing to remember here is that the coals must be dry. Charcoals with moisture will not catch fire easily.
Seasoning A Charcoal Grill
After you have set the flames, the next task comes in. It’s about seasoning the charcoal grill properly. Seasoning the charcoal grill is really important. So you must know the right way to season the charcoal grill.
An Intro To The Charcoal Grills
Although most of you have seen a charcoal grill in your life, still we will die into the intro of charcoal grills and their working mechanism. A charcoal grill is the most traditional tool that helps you to grill the food at its finest tastes.
It consists of a grill placed on the top, and below the grill is the compartment that carries burning coals to provide enough heat to grill food. So, in short, a charcoal grill contains all the components you can expect from a standard grill, while the only difference is the fuel that provides heat to the grill.
The coals used in a charcoal grill are useful for generating heat; they play a vital part in enhancing the flavour of the food by giving it a smoky touch.
Starting Up A Charcoal Grill
No doubt, the charcoal grill offers great features, but you would have to struggle while lighting up the charcoals as there are no direct burners that could burn the charcoals. So, roll your sleeves and get ready to turn your hands messy for the task.
But before you start, here are some things to know to make the task easier.
- Always ensure that the coals are dry and ready to burn, don’t use wet coals or the ones kept in moisture for a long time. Remember, the dryness of coals is directly proportional to the convenience of burning them.
- You can use fire starters to light up the charcoals. For this, you would have to gather enough briquettes and pile them to start the fire. It will assist a lot in burning the coals.
- Another technique to start the fire is by using liquid flued. All you have to do is pour the flued onto the coals evenly and make sure they have absorbed the flued. Afterwards, light them, and the flame will burn high.
Why Season Is Important For A Charcoal Grill
The main reason behind seasoning a charcoal grill are:
- It prevents the food from sticking with the grill
- The food gets enough moisture
- It prevents the food from burning as dry food burns fast on flames
- It keeps the food soft, like meat and chicken
- Non-seasoned grills make the food texture tough and ruin the taste.
How To Season The Grill Rightly
To season a charcoal grill rightly you can consider the foll0owing options:
- Use normal cooking oil to moisturize the grills
- Use onion mixed with degreaser and decarbonized and season all over the grills
- You can also use vegetable oil and spread it over the grills using a boar bristle pastry brush
- Another way to moisturize the charcoal grill is by using meat fat. You can consider these options if you are out for a picnic and cannot find other ways to season the grill
Seasoning the charcoal grill is vital as it determines how well your food will taste. So season the grills thoroughly and keep them moisturized throughout the grilling process. Do remember to cool down the charcoal grill after the party ends. Following the simple steps, you can start using a charcoal grill like a pro, and once you know the art of using a charcoal grill, the food will start to taste like never before. Good luck with your BBQ!