The George Foreman brand is one of the best grills in the market. While it is easy to use these grills, cleaning them is not always straightforward. Apart from its durability, a George Foreman grill comes packed with impressive features that enhance your grilling experience. It has slopes and drains for grease removal, ensuring your grilled food is healthy and tasty.
When it comes to cleaning a George Foreman grill, there are different methods you can use. It is important to know that you cannot clean a George Foreman grill using a scouring pad. You will scrap the non-stick coating off your grill, which ruins your grill. It is also important to know that you cannot submerge the grill into a skink full of water. This can damage the heating element and render your investment a waste. Here is the best way to clean a George Foreman grill.
The best and right way to clean George Foreman grills
To be able to learn how to clean your George Foreman grill perfectly, you first need to acknowledge that different grills come with different needs. Even so, most of the cleaning steps can be applied to most of the electric grills by this brand.
Cleaning the basic Panini grills with permanent grilling plates
There are different methods you can use to clean basic grills from George Foreman. Any of these three methods can be the best for your needs.
- Unplug the grill from the power source while still hot. Wrap non-metal tongs with a sheet of paper towel and use it to wipe off your grill’s surface. This helps to get rid of most of the debris from the plates. This is the best way to get between the ridged to remove the residue. Leave the grill to cool down.
- Using a soft sponge and soapy water, clean the inside of your grill. Ensure you wipe the edges to remove any leftover fat drips. Use a clean sponge to wipe the grill a second time with clean water to remove any soap residue left. Wipe the outside of the grill using a wet sponge before drying it using a soft paper towel.
- You can clean the drip tray by hand using soapy water and clean water to rinse. You can also place it in the dishwasher.
- When the grill is still warm, place a few sheets of paper towels on the bottom plate and close the lid. This will allow steam to form in the grill, which will loosen any stuck food remains or char. Allow the grill to completely cool off before cleaning it with soapy water and a soft sponge. Ensure you rinse with clean water and a sponge inside and out.
- This method creates a lot of steam, and the paper towels may dry out quickly, which is counterproductive to the process.
- Line the grills with parchment paper or aluminum foil before you start grilling. Ensure you completely covet the bottom plate and enough to fold over your food to protect the top plate. This method prevents the grill plates from accumulating food particles and grease residue. Once the grill is cool, remove the paper and towel in your bin. You can use paper towels to wipe the grills if there is any debris or liquid spills. Clean the grills with a clean sponge and allow drying.
Cleaning George Foreman advanced grill with removable plates
Advanced grills and Panini presses from George Foreman come with removable non-stick or ceramic grilling plates. Removable plates make cleaning easier since they can be submerged in warm soapy water. Allow them to soak for a while for the debris to loosen and make cleaning easier. Scrub them gently using a soft sponge to ensure you do not damage the non-stick coating. Rinse and allow the plates to dry before placing them back in the grill. Drip trays can be cleaned in the same way.
The removable plates and ceramic plates are dishwasher friendly. The size of the grill plates will fit in the bottom rack of your dishwasher. The drip tray is also dishwasher friendly. You can line the plates with aluminum foil before grilling to avoid the need to clean them after every grill.
Wipe the exterior of the grill using a wet sponge and dry with a dishtowel.
Premium George Foreman grill with broiler and interchangeable plates
Premium George Foreman grills can be cleaned in the same way as the advanced grills. You can soak the removable plates in warm soapy water in your sink or clean them using the dishwasher. Some plates may be harder to clean by hand, especially the waffle plates, as the batter can be stuck in the groves.
The best solution to make cleaning easy for these plates is to coat them with butter or cooking oil before using them to grill. After use, soak them in warm soapy water and leave them for a while. You can use your dishwasher to clean them after the residue loosens.
Griddle plates, baking pan, and the muffin cups are easy to clean by hand. You only need to use warm soapy water and a soft sponge. You can line the muffin cups with paper muffin baking cups or parchment paper for brownies and cornbread. This makes the cleaning process more manageable.
While you cannot clean the broiler element with soap and water, you can use a damp paper towel to wipe the reflector once the grill is completely cool. As with all other grill equipment, you can wipe the exterior parts using a soft wet sponge and dry it with a dry towel.
Additional tips for the best way to clean a George Foreman grill
From experience, it is easier to clean your grill soon after use. Most people ruin their grill by leaving food residue on the surface for too long, making it impossible to remove them.
Unplug and turn off the frill after use to prevent further cooking of the food residue. This prevents further hardening and makes the cleaning process easier.
Wipe down all the grill plates while still warm while ensuring you direct all the food particles you wipe off to the drip plate. Avoid using harsh chemicals to clean your grilling plates and always use wooden, nylon, or plastic utensils to remove the residue.