- Smart smoke technology- The digital temperature control and automatic auger feed pellets into the grill to maintain the heat for you and produce the optimal amount of smoke. Just set it and let it—no more babysitting.
- Endless versatility- Grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and barbecue all your favorite foods with premium wood-fired flavor on a single grill. Cook how you want with a huge temperature range at your fingertips, from 160° F up to 500° F.
- Huge cooking area- 570 square inches of cooking surface area and a removable upper warming rack give you enough room to cook for the entire neighborhood. Load up the grill with whole chickens, brisket, jerky, and more.
- Patented ash cleanout- Cleaning between cooks is as easy as pulling a lever, thanks to the exclusive Ash Cleanout system you won’t find on any other grill. That means less time wrestling with the vacuum and more time enjoying heavenly food.
- Perfect seared finish- The included Sear Box reaches temperatures up to 900° F for a crisp, caramelized sear. Smoke burgers, steaks, chicken, and more on the grill, and then transfer to the propane-fueled Sear Box to finish.
A comprehensive review
Whether you need to sear, roast, grill, or smoke, it is said that the camp chef woodwind pellet grill can do it all. Smoker grills have become increasingly popular amongst most homeowners because of their ease of use their ability to turn any piece of meat into a declarable meal.
The Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill is a smoker that comes with searing capabilities. For its price range, this woodwind pellet grills is one of the best smokers in the market. It comes built with heavy legs, a storage shelf, and stainless steel firepot and lid. Here is everything you need to know about the Camp Chef Woodwind pellet grill before investing in it.
This is a mid-size pellet smoker with the same capacity as other brands smokers in the same category. However, what makes this smoker stand out is the sophisticated finish and the affordable price range, which is lower than what other brands sell the same capacity smokers. It is one of the few pellet smokers with an ash-removal system, which makes cleaning a breeze. Even though wood pellets do not create too much ash, these grills require regular cleaning, which involves removing the ash left behind. For most pellet grills, this is one of the toughest tasks. Camp chef comes with a trap door under the fire pot with a sliding back. When pulled, this ash drips into a removable cup.
Even with this ease to clean ash removable technology, you will still be required to clean the bottom of the smoker box occasionally. However, the ash removal system takes way the possibility of having a clogged firepot, which can impair the performance of your grill.
The dual display control and integrated meat probe
Camp chef woodwind pellet grill is made with an Artech style notch dial controller that gives you control of the grilling process. As an automated system, you do not need to keep checking on your grilling food. By setting the thermostat to the preferred settings, you can go about your business as the food slowly smokes in the grill. It also comes with an LED readout that gives you updated cooking temperature readings and the internal meat temperature reading using an inbuilt temperature probe.
The grill is made with the ability to reach between 175F to 400F degrees and comes with a controller that includes feed, shutdown, lo smoker, high, and hi smoke options. The lo-smoke option runs up to 175 degrees while the hi-smoke is about 210 degrees. It is said that there are a few differences in the settings of these two temperature ranges, mostly in the auger timing. In both smoke settings, the auger allows the pellets to smolder as opposed to burning.
The Camp Chef smoker produced even heat distribution throughout the smoking chamber, which is beneficial for even smoking and cooking of your foods. When turned up, the smoker can reach temperatures of up to 480° F, making it perfect for searing most types of foods. The inclusion of inbuilt meat probing rod offers convenience.
The sear box
Most pellet smoker boxes are not built for searing. However, the camp chef brand has ensured this smoker can be used for searing purposes too. This grill comes with an optional LP gas searing burner that can be mounted on the right side of the grill in place of the side shelf. This searing side burner produced 16000 BTUs of heat at temperatures ranging between 480° F Low to 900° F High, which is perfect for searing steak. You can cook steak in the smoker using low and slow method under 225 degrees until you attain a 110 degrees internal temperature. After this, transfer the steak onto the searing burner to finish cooking. For the perfect doneness, the internal temperature in the steak while on the searing burner should not exceed 135° F.
The drain chute
This grill comes with a hopper with a draining system for emptying pellets. This makes it easy for you to remove pellets from the grill when not in use or when you need to store it away. The drain chute works in the same way as a grease drain located on the other end of the grill. You can hang a bucker under the chute to catch the pellets. The chute can be opened using a pullout knob held in place with a vertical tab for easy opening.
The main cooking grates are made from enamel-coated steel, while the heat deflector, drip pan, and upper rack are made from stainless steel. It also has a 20-pound capacity hopper.
The grill is made with two large wheels and a caster that make moving the grill a breeze. The heavy-duty cover is options even though it comes highly recommended for protecting the grill from the elements.