Table of Contents
How Long to Grill Andouille Sausage
Andouille sausage is a smoked, spicy pork sausage popular in Cajun and Creole cuisine. You can find excellent andouille all over New Orleans, but it’s also served in other regions of the country. But do you know how long to grill andouille sausage?
Well, mostly, it’s grilled up on a stick with onions and served alongside red beans and rice. However, the best way to cook up some Andouille is on a grill with eggs or potatoes for breakfast or brunch. Its smoky, spicy flavors add a nice kick to the meal.
In this blog post, we are going to share a recipe for grilling andouille sausage at home. We may also discuss the most commonly asked queries by the public about it.
Grilled Andouille Sausage
Here is the recipe for grilled Andouille sausage for you:
- 6-7 andouille sausage links, brine drained, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 3 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Preheat your grill on medium-high heat; you can use a gas or charcoal grill.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix barbecue sauce, butter, and andouille until well incorporated.
- Place mixture in a foil-covered baking dish, brush with remaining barbecue sauce and wrap tightly with aluminum foil.
- Put on the grill and cook for 40 to 45 minutes or until sausage is cooked through.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes, slice into individual pieces, and serve warm.
How to cook Grilled Andouille Sausage with whole-grain mustard?
We will share an easy recipe of Andouille sausage using mustard to add more flavor to the food.
Whole Grain Mustard Andouille Sausage
- 1/2 cup whole grain mustard
- 2 Tablespoon chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
- Preheat your gas or charcoal grill on medium-high heat.
- Put 1 cup of water into your pot, then add butter and place over medium-high heat.
- When butter is melted, add andouille sausage. Cook for about 6 minutes, turning every minute.
- Add mustard, yellow onion, and cook for another 2-4 minutes, occasionally stirring to coat all the sausage with mustard.
Serve and enjoy!
How to grill Andouille sausage with canned tomatoes?
When you want a more savory flavor in your Andouille sausage recipe use canned tomatoes in that case. Here are the simple step-by-step instructions to make some delicious food.
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Canned Tomato Andouille Sausage
- Garlic powder
- Preheat your grill on medium-high heat, whether it is a gas or charcoal grill.
- Cut andouille sausage into 2-inch pieces, being sure to remove the casings.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. And add canola oil and sausage to the pan; cook for about 5 minutes, turning frequently.
- First add tomato, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pan; cook for about 2-3 minutes or until sausage is cooked through.
- Add chicken broth and cook until it evaporates. Remove from heat and add shredded cheddar cheese.
- Allow standing for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve warm with bread crumbs if desired. Serve and enjoy!
How long to grill Andouille Sausage?
The average time for cooking Andouille sausage is 1 hour and 45 minutes. However, according to the manufacturers, you can grill andouille sausage in between 20-30 minutes.
For the Andouille sausage to be cooked thoroughly and retain its overall delicious flavor and texture, you need to buy fresh Andouille sausage regularly (ideally, fresh Andouille is available in local markets), but they are relatively expensive.
It’s better to buy frozen Andouille sausage than canned ones. Frozen sausage generally has 40-60% less moisture than fresh andouille sausage, but the flavors of both are usually similar. You can skip grilling andouille sausage before freezing it to avoid turning it from a frozen state.
What temperature is required to cook Andouille Sausage?
There is no specific temperature for cooking andouille sausage, however, we recommend medium-low heat to maintain the natural flavors of andouille sausage. Remember that you cannot overcook andouille sausage because it will lose its flavor if you do it.
If you want to cook andouille sausage on high fire until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, remember that you should turn them over frequently. Which brings a lot of juices with them while they are being grilled and burned easily.
What is the difference between red andouille and white andouille?
Red describes the color, while white describes the texture of Andouille sausages. Red Andouille is a small-sized sausage with a reddish-pink color. The white Andouille is a larger sausage with an off-white color.
Both are smoked, spicy pork sausages that can be eaten on their own, hot sauce or mustard, and homemade French bread. White Andouille is a larger sausage with an off-white color. Andouille sausages can be eaten on their own with hot sauce or mustard and homemade French bread.
Grilled Andouille Sausage should be served with
Andouille sausage is usually served with traditional Cajun dishes like red beans and rice, gumbo, jambalaya, and dirty rice. People also enjoy it as an appetizer before any meal or as a part of the breakfast menu and eggs and potatoes.
White Andouille sausage is typically served with eggs, potatoes, and other foods, such as smoked salmon. Andouille sausage can be served at all the entrees like burgers, salads, burritos, and anything else you want to include.
Grilled Andouille Sausage might be an interesting recipe for you to try at home. In addition, it is an extremely healthy and low-fat option for your daily meal. So it will help you control your cholesterol level and blood pressure.
Hope you get the details on how long to grill Andouille sausage. Now, you can grill it for your loved ones and make them happy.