Table of Contents
Making the ideal crispy air fryer liempo with crackling is easier than you think. Every bite of this delicate, juicy, and delicious liempo has a crispy delight! When cooked in an air fryer, the meat becomes crisp, crackly, and tasty without deep-frying it or soaking it in oil! Keep reading the article to find out how to cook a liempo in the air fryer.
Foodies discuss the merits of liempo. Some people love it, while others hate it. It’s tasty when cooked correctly, in my opinion: good seasoning, no large chunks of fat, and crisp skin.
The key to a perfectly cooked liempo is to prepare it ahead of time. Preparation should begin 12 hours before serving. Most importantly, it produces the crackling, which many people struggle with, but not to worry, my method is foolproof and simple to follow.
Cooking Liempo in an air fryer enables the fat to drip off the pork while it cooks. You may use this fat to make a sauce, but the dish will be thinner than usually cooked. But first, let us learn about the different ways to prepare a liempo.
How To Cook A Liempo In The Air Fryer?
A liempo is usually prepared by slicing it into big pieces. This is the classic inihaw na liempo cut. It is excellent for grilling since it produces fat while flavoring the meat and keeping it tender and juicy. This cut may also be pan-fried. (Remember that fat indicates taste since meat tastes travel better through fat than water.)
To put it simply, this cut may enhance the flavor of any grilled or roasted meal. Slices of liempo may be marinated for the same period as the whole liempo but will require less time since they are thinner and absorb spices faster.
Then all you have to do is light the charcoal and cook!
Cut Liempo Into Small Cubes
Liempo is a simple pork cut that can be prepared at home with little effort. This is because the liempo is relatively flat. Any portions of the pork chop that are not flat are typically found on the edges, making it simple to cut into cubes for the most part. Because of this, it is effortless to use as a pig cut replacement for cuts that are not readily accessible.
Liempo cubes also make excellent braised pork slices when cooked in their own juices. As previously said, the layers of fat and meat are suited to braising and stewing because they will preserve the meat aromatic as the fat renders to produce sticky and incredibly soft pork pieces that will be a delight to bite into while the flesh cooks.
Cut Into Thin, Small Slices.
When cooking a liempo, you don’t have to wait long at all, particularly if it’s been thinly sliced before you start. This is an excellent use of the fat and meat combination! You won’t have to worry about the meat drying out because of the layers, and you won’t have to worry about it being bland and unappealing because of the flavors of the layers.
Depending on your preference, you may serve it with any sauce or dip. You may even marinade them for less than an hour before cooking them to add even more flavor to the dish.
Delicious Crispy Liempo In The Air Fryer Recipe
- 5 pounds of Liempo
- One medium onion, peeled and sliced
- Six garlic cloves that have been peeled and crushed
- Two bay leaves
- One tablespoon kosher salt (fine)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- as much water as is required
How to Make Spiced Soy-Vinegar Dipper Sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (rice vinegar or white wine vinegar)
- Two tablespoons soy sauce, taste and adjust seasonings
- minced two cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- Thai red chilies, thinly sliced (adjust the heat level to taste)
For the AIR FRYER LIEMPO
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the Liempo, onion, garlic cloves, bay leaves, coarsely ground salt, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Using a large enough container, fill it with water to fully cover or immerse the pork belly.
- Simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender. As required, add water to keep the pork belly immersed.
- Remove the meat from the pot and blot it dry. Using a fork, poke holes all over the fatty or skin side of the pork. (I also occasionally just score it.) All over the fatty/skin region, sprinkle salt. Make sure you use coarse salt or coarsely ground salt (salt passed through a grinder).
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight to dry. Dry the meat as much as you can before cooking it. Salt on top also helps it dry. Dry the meat with a paper towel if it is still wet.
- Before air frying the liempo, let it come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 400F. Preheat air fryer basket with liempo skin side up. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until golden and crispy. After 20 minutes, check the liempo and brown the other side if necessary.
- For moist meat, let it sit for 10 minutes. The meat will be messy if you slice it straight away, and you don’t want it to lose its delicious juices. Waiting for delicious, juicy, and tender meat will be rewarded!
- Cut into desired thickness (I typically opt for 1/2 inch). Serve with sarsa or a spiced soy and vinegar dip. For a more decadent treat, dip each belly piece in the sauce.
Combine the vinegar and soy sauce in a small bowl. There is no right or incorrect way to assess this situation. Simply adjust the quantity to your liking and according to your taste preferences. Add minced garlic and chilies. Serve with the liempo, and your liempo is ready to eat!
- Dry skin is essential. Use your rest time to dry out any extra liquids.
- Keep in mind that air fryers cook differently. The cooking time is a guideline.
- Adding salt draws water from the pork belly—season in a generous amount. Don’t worry; the meal won’t be too salty.
- While storing and later air frying pork belly, try keeping the skin side up. It will stay dry.
- You should not cut into the meat while cutting or piercing the skin, which will hinder it from drying properly.
- Refrigerate leftover pork belly in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Serve it warm with your favorite side dishes.
As you see above, the air fryer allows you to cook the liempo in the easiest way. We hope you will be able to cook them perfectly with the above guide.