Table of Contents
Complete Guide about How to Cook Haddock on the Grill?
Haddock is a type of fish that can be grilled, smoked, or fried. If you are looking for how to cook haddock on the grill, then it is probably your best bet. The best thing is that grilling doesn’t require any oil and there’s no need to keep checking on it like you would with frying or smoking.
In this blog post, we’ll cover what you need to know about cooking haddock on the grill. We’ll go over how to clean and prepare it before grilling, as well as what spices work best with this fish.
How to Cook Haddock on the Grill?
Here is how you can cook haddock on the grill:
- Clean the grate of your grill properly with the help of a wire brush and scraper. Clean it unless its rack becomes free of any crusted-on debris. If it is important, sit the grate in a big tub with hot, soapy water and scrub it with nylon scrubbing pads. Then dry the rack completely before placing it back in the grill.
- Now oil the rack thoroughly by using a rag dipped in a high-temperature cooking oil like canola oil, safflower oil, and grapeseed oil. Or you can also sprinkle it with a high-temperature pan spray. Next light the grill, close the lid and preheat it to medium-high flame.
- Dry the haddock fillets with clean paper towels. Brush the fillets lightly with oil and then season them generously with black pepper and salt or maybe some other flavorings you may like.
- Now open the grill and place the fillers properly across the rack in such a way that the skin side faces up. Do not get distracted because the meat turns from translucent to opaque as you are cooking it over the grill’s heat. Grill them unless they are about one-third of the way they are being cooked. It may take you about 4 to 6 minutes, as it depends on the fleets’ thickness.
- Slide a spatula with a thin metal blade under the first position. When it is properly scorched, it may release from the bars of the grate. Next, flip the pieces one by one softly and take care not to break them.
- Now cook them from the other side for three to four minutes, or unless there is just a hint of translucent meat left in the center of the portions. Remove them from the grill to the serving platter and let the pieces rest for 2 to 3 minutes, to finish cooking in their residual heat.
Grilled Haddock with Lemon Cream Sauce
Here is the recipe for grilling Haddock with lemon cream sauce.
- Lemon: 1 large
- Lemon sliced: 1 Ilb
- Salt: 1 spoon
- Black pepper: 1 spoon
- Olive oil: 1 spoon
- 1 tbsp dill weed (chopped and dried)
Lemon Cream Sauce for Fish
- I tbsp olive oil
- 1/ 4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/ 4 medium onion
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
Directions For Cooking the Grilled Haddock
- Rinse and pat the haddock dry with the help of paper towels.
- At the countertop layout a section of tinfoil for each fillet you may have.
- Now generously brush the olive oil or you can also use non-stick cooking spray on the inside of each foil sheet.
- Depending on the size of the fillets arrange 2 or 3 lemon slices in a line down the middle of each packet
- Next season each fillet with salt, dill weed, and grounded black pepper and place the haddock fillets on the lemon slices.
- Wrap each fillet in the foil to make sure that they are completely sealed with the seam facing upward.
- Now sit the foil packs on the grill over medium flame. Now cook for about 8 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness of your haddock. Remove them from heat and check the fillers for the fish whether it is done or not.
For making Lemon Cream Sauce for Fish
- Take a small saucepan, pour some olive oil, and place it on medium-high heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add some minced onion and saute for a few minutes or until tender.
- Now minimize the flame to low and add some heavy cream. As the cream is warmed, add the butter and cook unless it is melted.
- Add some lemon juice and zest and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Next, add the grated Parmesan cheese and stir unless it is fully melted. At last, pour the lemon cream sauce over the grilled haddock and enjoy your meal!
Note: Follow this recipe as described to get the best results. Moreover, use all the ingredients as discussed earlier.
Cooking times for Grilled Fish
Grilled Haddock fish must be cooked for 8 to 10 minutes every inch of thickness (maybe fillets or steak cuts). If you are directly grilling it on your grill, turn and grill each side for 3 to 4 minutes unless the fish is done. In case you are using foil packets, check the fish once it is done at about 8 minutes as the fish is not grilling but steaming inside the foil punch. Moreover, open the foil packets with care to prevent burns from steam.
A raw fillet of Haddock may contain about 143 calories, 0.9 grams of fat, and 31.5 grams of protein. However, it contains no fiber, carbohydrates, and sugar. But it is a good source of vitamin B6 and B12, phosphorus, magnesium, niacin, and selenium.
Like most fish, haddock also has Omega 3 fatty acids, which may provide you with a wide range of health advantages. It may also be worth noting that this fish is as high in cholesterol as 104 grams.
We hope that you know how to cook haddock by now. Just follow these steps and your delicious Haddock will be ready in no time.