Table of Contents
How long to Cook Frozen Egg Rolls in Air Fryer?
Homemade egg roll is hands down one of my favorite appetizers to make. Thanks to the invention of the air fryer, I can cook it as crispy and delicious as the deep-fried version in half the time. While some traditionally fried recipes adapt well to the air fryer, but egg rolls come out best.
Why Air Fry your Egg Rolls?
The health benefit of air frying over deep-frying is one of the reasons why air frying is now one of the most common methods recommended by nutritionists and dieticians. You don’t need all that extra oil or fat in its cooking, reducing the risk of heart and other diseases associated with high cholesterol intake. While I recommend very lightly brushing the egg rolls with oil to gives them that extra crispiness before air frying, it is entirely optional, and the egg roll will turn out fine without it.
Another essential benefit of air frying is the amount of time you save. From the shopping of food material to the precooking preparation to the cooking process itself, a lot of time is spent. However, it takes about 30 seconds to flip on the air fryer, and the clean-up is more straightforward than dealing with vats of hot oil.
How to Air Fry Egg Rolls
Making crispy egg rolls in the air fryer will only take you a fraction of the time and effort you will take to order a delivery. So why not try your hand on any of the two recipes I will be giving you. My first recipe is when we are crunched for time, and we want to air fry frozen egg rolls, while the second is a more hands-on method that involves making your filling.
- Frozen Egg Rolls, This method works for any brand or variety of frozen egg rolls you like.
- Spray Oil, Any oil will do for this recipe. It’ll work with vegetables, olive, coconut, avocado to keep the egg rolls crunchy.
- Salt is optional, but I find it adds a significant difference to its taste depending on the brand of frozen egg roll gotten.
The first step is to preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees F (this is optional but helps save cooking time). If your air fryer model does not automatically preheat, you can leave it on 2 to 3 minutes before putting the egg rolls. Next, spray or brush the egg roll with oil, the added salt, or any other seasoning you might like.
The next step is to place frozen egg rolls in a single layer in the Air Fryer basket, make sure they do not touch each other. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes at 400 degrees F and then flip the egg rolls, spray or brush with oil on the bottom side, and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
Serve it hot and with your favorite dipping sauce.
- For the filling: Pork filling or chicken with ginger, garlic, scallion, carrot, and cabbage. Feel free to experiment with any protein and vegetable you might prefer.
- Seasoning such as clove garlic, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
- Vegetables like carrot, shredded green cabbage, scallions, and grated fresh ginger
- Egg roll wrappers
- Olive oil, while it is not compulsory, I advise you to add a little
First and foremost, you have to make the egg roll filling. My basic egg roll filling recipe usually starts with cooking the ground pork in a large skillet until it’s cooked through. Then, add the vegetables for 2 to 3 more minutes before the filling with soy sauce and rice wine vinegar.
Next is making egg rolls; it is similar to making little mini burritos. The key to getting this right is to make sure you turn the square wrapper, so a point is facing you like a diamond. Then place an appropriate amount of filling in the middle of the wrapper, fold the side points over, and then roll it up. To be sure the wrapper is adequately sealed, dip your fingers in water to brush the wrapper’s outer edges before rolling. Place on a plate and repeat until you are out of filling.
It is now time to Air fry the egg rolls. First, place the egg rolls in the basket of your air fryer, then spray them lightly with oil. Add as many as you can without stacking the egg rolls, making sure they are well spaced. Spacing the egg roll ensures it cooks appropriately and the heated air circulates them. Next, place the basket in the air fryer and turn the air fryer to 350°F. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes, flip the egg rolls, spray or brush with oil on the bottom side, and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Finished egg rolls should be golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
This whole process takes a total of 45 minutes, twenty-minute for preparation, and about 25 minutes of air frying.
- Depending on the brand, all frozen egg rolls vary in size, thickness, and filling. So you would need to be flexible and ready to adjust the timing and temperature.
- Know the type of air fryer you are using and its features; different air fryers cook at different temperatures.
- It is not compulsory to spray the basket or the egg rolls with oil.
- Don’t overcrowd the Air Fryer basket to ensure even cooking! Instead, I recommend putting them in a single layer with room between the rolls so the air can circulate.
- During air frying, shake the basket or turn the egg rolls once or twice during cooking.
- Keep an eye on the egg roll when in the air fryer
- All Air Fryers are different, so that timings can be different. Always keep an eye on your food and often check the first time you’re making a new recipe.
On a final note, I strongly recommend you try your hands on this egg roll recipe. While you can try the frozen recipe when some light snacking, I find the air-fried Chinese egg roll to be good when you have guests over. It is also an excellent way to clean up left-over meals in the refrigerator; don’t be too afraid to experiment.