How to Cook Scallops on the Grill in Foil
Table of Contents
Cooking Scallops on the Grill in Foil
You are sure to impress your guests with these seared scallops, cooked on the grill in foil! The scallops are seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic. So if you want to learn about how to cook scallops on the grill in foil, keep reading.
Skillets and frying pans can’t do the beautiful, crisp sear that grilling over an open flame will. The foil steams the scallops while they cook, preventing them from drying out! A simple dinner of grilled scallops makes for a quick meal that will satisfy your entire family.
Here you will learn how to cook scallops on the grill in foil with a simple sauce made from grape tomatoes, shallots, olive oil, and white wine.
How to Cook Scallops on the Grill in Foil
Here is the recipe for you to cook the scallops on the grill in foil along with all the ingredients and instructions required
- 10 scallops, cleaned
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced.
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine (optional)
- 4 pieces of aluminum foil, 12″ x 12″
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Once hot, place the grilling plank on the grill for a few minutes to get it nice and warm.
- Place the grape tomatoes, shallots, and a few pinches of salt on one end of the foil and drizzle with some EVOO. Add the garlic, thyme, and scallops on top.
- Close it tightly by folding the foil lengthwise two times then twice again, making a nice little packet.
- Place the packet on the grilling plank and close the grill. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until the scallops are cooked through.
- Add the white wine to the remaining juices in the foil and stir to combine. Serve with toothpicks on a plate with some crusty bread.
Tip: If you don’t have a grilling plank, do not fret as you could use a piece of aluminum foil. Just be sure to grease the foil with some olive oil before adding the scallops. Cook for about 6 minutes on each side and add the wine, just like above. Yum!
Broccoli and Scallops Foil Packets
Ready to expand your menu a little more? We love this quick and easy dish with broccoli, noodles, and scallops cooked in foil packets!
- 1- 1/2 lbs. of medium or large sea scallops (firm and dry)
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of thin, fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 large shallot, sliced thinly
- 4 tbsp. of butter
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 6 oz. or so of shirataki noodles or spaghetti noodles (optional)
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and be sure the grilling plank is nice and hot.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the scallops with a few turns of salt and pepper. When the plank is nice and hot, add the scallops to the basket of your grill.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown-crisp and cooked through.
- While your scallops are cooking, combine the mushrooms, broccoli, and shallots in another large bowl. Heat 1 tbsp. of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the vegetables in the butter until they are tender-crisp. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- Wipeout your skillet with a paper towel, then melt the remaining 3 tbsp. of butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for about one minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the noodles and the remaining butter to the skillet. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the vegetables and saute with the noodles for another 3 minutes. Pour in a few spoonfuls of white wine or sherry and cook until most of the liquid evaporates or until you are satisfied with the flavor. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, then place two sheets of aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Spray each piece of foil with some cooking spray.
- Divide the mixture between the two sheets. Add a scallop on top. Wrap it tightly by folding the foil lengthwise two times, then twice again, making a nice little packet.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Open the foil carefully and serve with toasted garlic bread.
Note: You can prepare these packets ahead of time and reheat them when you are ready to eat. Moreover, just place them in a hot oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
How to Cook Scallops in a Pan on the Stove Top?
Here’s how to cook scallops in a pan:
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a few pats of butter to the pan and let it melt completely.
- Add your scallops and cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown-crisp and cooked through.
- Reserve the remaining butter. While your scallops are cooking, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and saute for about one minute, or until fragrant. Add the noodles with a splash of white wine or sherry and cook until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Divide the mixture evenly between two sheets of aluminum foil. Add a scallop on top. Wrap it tightly by folding the foil lengthwise two times, then twice again, making a nice little packet.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Open the foil carefully and serve with toasted garlic bread.
That’s all for this blog post. Hope you get to know all about how to cook scallops on the grill in foil. Now you can grill them on the grill as well as in the pan on the stovetop in foil for your family and guests. Happy Grilling!