Table of Contents
How To Cook Chicken Fried Steak In Air Fryer In Minutes
Wondering how to cook Chicken Fried Steak in air fryer? If you said yes, I’ve got you covered. This delicious dish is traditionally a Southern dinner, but I have simplified it by using an air fryer. With the air fryer you can whip up a delicious and filling meal without all the excess calories and smell of grease in the kitchen. What’s even better is you won’t have to worry about making a big mess. Today we will explore my favorite recipes for Chicken Fried Steak in the air fryer. So, you can discover a new weeknight favourite.
What Makes Crispy Chicken Fried Steak In Air Fryer So Good?
- There are numerous reasons, but among the top are:
- It’s fast. From start to finish, it will take less than 30 minutes.
- It’s just a matter of dredging, cooking, and serving.
- It is a family-friendly recipe. This meal will be a hit with the whole family.
- It is versatile. You can serve it with your favorite side dish.
- Very few things to clean up. Besides cleaning the air fryer and dredging station, there won’t be a mess.
Chicken Fried Steaks in Air Fryer
Your Air Fryer might soon become your go-to method for cooking comfort food like chicken fried steak. You can use it in any recipe that calls for Air Fryer chicken. The crispiness of the breading will make you forget about the deep-fried calories.
By using the Air Fryer, you get the same results as the pan fried version, but in less time. During the time the steaks are frying, you can prepare the gravy. All you’ll have on your stove is one saucepan! Can you believe that?
What is Country Fried Steak?
The Country Fried Steak is an American dish popular in southern cooking. The traditional way to cook it is to bread a piece of meat, usually a cube steak, and dredge it in a flour mixture with spices before frying it.
Flattened and tenderized beef cuts are called cube steaks because there are few indentations in the meat. Buying it at a grocery store is very easy and very affordable.
Steps To Create Chicken Fried Steak
This recipe can also be used for meaty fried chicken. Just use chicken thighs instead of breasts.
The chicken breast should be sliced lengthwise in half to get two pieces. Then, using a meat mallet or rolling pin (my favorite method), beat the heck out of it. Please be careful not to hit your countertop so hard that you take a piece out with it. You can follow the directions below once you have a thin piece of chicken breast.
How To Properly Bread Your Chicken Fried Steak?
In a dipping bowl, whisk together eggs, hot sauce and buttermilk.
Dip your flattened chicken in the dry ingredients and then the liquid mixture. Step 2 should be repeated once more. So, dry ingredients, and then liquid. Ensure that any excess is shaken off when moving between dry and wet ingredients.
As long as you spray the steaks with cooking spray liberally on both sides, this will taste as good as deep fried chicken fried steak.
Oil or No Oil?
I recommend giving your breaded chicken steaks a liberal coating of oil on both sides. This will prevent any dried flour from being on the finished product as well as give you that deep fried golden aesthetic.
What To Serve With Chicken Steaks?
This classic southern dish may be way healthier than the traditional recipes you are used to but it pairs well with the same delicious sides. Use gravy to top the fried steaks and serve with roasted potatoes, collard greens or even string beans. All of which can be whipped up in the air fryer as well.
These are not the end all be all of sides, by any means. So, feel free to misplace and match as you want. These Chicken Fried Steaks pair well with salads, fried sides, mash potatoes and so much more.
Sure, but it will take a significantly longer time and won’t be as crisp as you would get from an air fryer. But it is totally possible if you are totally against fried food. Here’s what you would do:
- Put your breaded steaks on your cooling rack inverted to use as a baking sheet. The heat will circulate throughout the meat when it is baked on a cooling rack.
- Be sure to spray cooking spray on both sides, then flip halfway through cooking.
- Then bake at 425 F for 10 minutes. (I don’t have actual experience with this method, but based on similar things I’ve created before, I’m making a very educated guess on how long it will take to cook the chicken.)
How To Cook Chicken Fried Steak In Air Fryer
- Combine your sage, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and flour in a shallow bowl.
- In a dipping bowl, whisk together eggs, hot sauce and buttermilk.
- Dip your flattened chicken in the dry ingredients and then the liquid mixture. Step 2 should be repeated once more. So, dry ingredients, and then liquid. Ensure that any excess is shaken off when moving between dry and wet ingredients. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes before frying.
- Transfer your chicken steaks to your air fryer basket then spray liberally with oil.
- Set your air fryer to 400 degrees F then place to air fry for 8 minutes.
- Don’t forget the gravy! Over low heat, combine the flour and melted butter while stirring to form a roux. Once your roux forms, stir in your seasoning. Bring the heat up to medium, then whisk in the cream and milk. Stir until thick, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure the steak is cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
- Serve the cooked Chicken Fried Steak with that flavorful country gravy.
This delicious dish is traditionally a Southern dinner, but I have simplified it by using an air fryer. With the air fryer you can whip up a delicious and filling meal without all the excess calories and smell of grease in the kitchen. What’s even better is you won’t have to worry about making a big mess. I hope you were able to follow along and that the tips above will help you get a new weeknight favorite.