Table of Contents
- How To Fry Okra In An Air Fryer So Its No Longer Slimy
- Why Fry Okra In An Air Fryer
- Can I Buy Okra Already Cut And Breaded?
- How To Fry Okra In An Air Fryer With Fresh Okra
- How To Fry Frozen Okra In An Air Fryer
- Reheating Okra In Your Air Fryer
- Top Tips For Frying Okra In Your Air Fryer
- Perfect Air Fried Okra
- Final Thoughts
- Related Video
How To Fry Okra In An Air Fryer So Its No Longer Slimy
Do you want to know how to fry okra in an air fryer so it’s not slimy? If so, this post is about to provide you with the answers you need. The air fryer excels at providing you with crispy snacks, such as Air Fryer Hot Pockets, Air fryer Pizza Rolls, and even Air Fryer Breaded Okra. This post will walk you through how to fry your okra in an air fryer, without them staying slimy.
Why Fry Okra In An Air Fryer
Air Fried Okra is a delicious, crispy, and perfect snack, side dish, or even appetizer. And you can make it in an air fryer. Simply toss them in flour and cornmeal. Then fry them until they’re golden. The fresh okra will get crispy and all you need to cook it is a few splashes of oil.
Can I Buy Okra Already Cut And Breaded?
Absolutely! Okra should be in most grocery stores. And they’re generally in the produce aisle. It does have a specific season; however, it is mostly available between May to September.
You may even be able to find it at your local farmer’s market.
How To Fry Okra In An Air Fryer With Fresh Okra
Frying okra is actually pretty simple to do from scratch. Let’s fry up a batch together.
Prepping Your Fryer And Okra
- Set your air fryer to preheat to 380 degrees.
- Trim your okra by cleaning and cutting off the ends. Then slice into half-inch-thick slices.
- Combine your flour and cornmeal into a bowl and set it aside.
- Crack your egg and whisk in a separate bowl then set beside your flour.
- In a third bowl, add in your breadcrumbs, paprika, salt, and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Carry out your breading process by dipping your okra pieces into the flour mixture, then into the egg, and then into your breadcrumbs.
Time To Fry Your Okra In An Air Fryer
- Use a fork to pick up each piece of okra to make it easier. Shake off any excess breading.
- Transfer the breaded okra to your air fryer basket and lightly spritz with cooking oil.
- Set in your air fryer to fry for about eight minutes or until the outside is golden.
- Remove your fried okra from your air fryer. You’re done! Enjoy!
How To Fry Frozen Okra In An Air Fryer
There are a variety of brands of frozen okra in your supermarket. The best part about this pre-breaded okra is that they’re often inexpensive and pretty easy to cook. Let’s go through a few steps for you to reheat or cook your frozen okra in an air fryer.
Prep Your Air Fryer Basket
- Set your air fryer to preheat to 400 degrees.
- Transfer your frozen okra into your fryer basket.
Ensure that you leave space in between so that the air can pass through. Try to create a single layer as this will get you the most crispness.
Time To Fry
- Set your frozen okra in your air fryer to cook for about 14 minutes. Be sure to shake your basket periodically during cooking.
- Once crispy and golden, remove your roasted okra from your air fryer and serve warm. Enjoy!
Reheating Okra In Your Air Fryer
The best part about frozen okra is that they can be stored in your refrigerator in an airtight container for about three days or up to three months in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat, simply reheat. Here are a few steps to help you to reheat them from frozen:
- Set your air fryer to preheat to 350 degrees.
- Transfer your leftover fried okra into your fryer basket.
- Allow to fry for about three minutes or until fully warmed through
- Remove your okra and serve. Enjoy!
Top Tips For Frying Okra In Your Air Fryer
Always Season Your Okra
Always add spices along with salt and pepper. I prefer to use cayenne pepper, but your favorite spices will work when frying anything in your air fryer.
Cooking Large Batches
Consider cooking a large batch so, you can save the rest in your freezer for later.
Use A Fork
Using a fork to dip your okra into your breading bowls will make it faster and much easier to clean up.
Use A Smaller Bowl For Eggs
When breading, consider using a smaller bowl for your eggs so that you can easily dip them into the bowl and over to the bigger bowl with the dry ingredients. This will make it easier for you to coat all sides of your okra and leave less room for splashing.
Perfect Air Fried Okra
Here is an air fryer recipe for your breaded okra that will leave your family begging for more. It’s made with flour and cornmeal breading, and it is delicious, crispy, and will fry to perfection in under 20 minutes.
What You Will Need:
- One egg
- One pound okra
- A quarter cup of milk
- Half cup cornmeal
- Half cup all-purpose flour
- A quarter teaspoon of pepper
- Half teaspoon salt
- Cooking oil spray
How To Make Fried Okra:
- Set your fryer to preheat to 400 degrees.
- Combine your egg and milk in a shallow bowl.
- Mix together your pepper, salt, cornmeal, and flour in a separate bowl.
- Dredge your okra in your egg. Then transfer to your flour mixture.
- Using a fork, shake off the excess and add to your fire basket. Try to cook in a single layer. If there are too many okra pieces to do so, you may have to fry in batches.
- Use your cooking spray to lightly coat your okra, then set to fry until golden. This should take about 12 minutes. Be sure to shake your basket at least two times while frying
Pro-tip: If you find that your okra has flower spots, spritz once more with oil and set to refry.
- Remove the okra from your air fryer. Serve and enjoy!
Fried okra is delicious when fried in the air fryer. Be sure to test out new recipes to add your fried okra to. Then have your family members try them.